My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Joy of blogging (and is there something missing?)

A fellow blogger visited today and mentioned how much we have in common. We do share a lot of the same interests, and some of the same problems. I think that many of us during these times, share common concerns and desires. There are many of us who also recognize that something is missing, and want to do things differently.

Think back to a time when you were most happy. I bet that you didn't have nearly what you have now.... I bet things were a lot simpler then. Somehow, along the way, we all got swept up in the belief that stuff would make us happy. We may have more than what we need now, but there is also a feeling of scarcity.

We have lost the ability to do for ourselves... to produce our own food, or make our own clothing or coverings. We live in large towns and cities but have lost our sense of community. We don't know our neighbours, and don't care to know them.

We spend more time at work than we do with our children. We entrust our children's education to strangers. Television entertains our youngsters, even when we are home and able to give them quality time.

Perhaps it is time to rethink all that we are involved in, and to ask ourselves one simple question. Ask this... Is this is really the way you want to spend the rest of your life?

I am not suggesting that we all give up our comfortable homes for a cabin in the woods. What I am proposing is that we reevaluate our present circumstance. Is there something that we need to do to enhance the quality of our lives, our children's lives and that of our neighbours?

Perhaps we really do not need what we have been convinced that we do. Perhaps all we really need is the the love of family and friends, and just enough to get by. Perhaps we need to relearn some of the skills of our grandparents. Do you remember how they managed when times were tough?

I am glad that I have connected with so many like-minded people through blogging. Somehow it makes the journey... and the search...easier knowing that there are many walking the same path.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. I am taking your questions and giving them some serious contemplation.
    My life is closer to what I want it to be than it was four years ago...but I am not quite there yet.
    I want a simpler life with more meaning and I want to be able to LIVE each day fully instead of just making it through the day.

    ReplyDelete