My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Eve of the New Year

In a very few hours, 2010 will come to an end, and those of us who manage to stay up past midnight, will welcome in the New Year.  I can remember how excited I was, when as a child, I was finally old enough to stay up until midnight.
  
My grandmother and my parents put on quite a spectacle.  There were snacks to enjoy.  We watched celebrations on a black and white TV, and struggled, stubbornly, to stay awake.  As the hands of the clock moved towards midnight, the back door was opened, and the old year was swept out.  I can remember that often some parting words were addressed to the Old Year.  Somehow it always seemed a little sad to say good-bye.


From the back door, we moved to the front door which was flung open with great ado.  Pots and pans were banged and the New was heralded in, with great gusto, to cheers of "Happy New Year!"  It was the one and only time of the year that my brother and I were allowed to be as noisy as we could possibly be....and for that brief period of time, we took full advantage of that fact.  


I am sure that the adults in our home had mixed feelings on that night.  Perhaps they felt sadness at what had transpired over the past year.  Perhaps they were apprehensive about what challenges the new year would bring.  We were too young to fear the future.  We could enjoy the present moment with little thought of yesterday or tomorrow.


And so I end this little dialogue, with a sincere wish for you.  May 2011 be a year of Peace.  May good health and happiness take up permanent residence in both your heart and your home.


Happy New Year!


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne!
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne.
We'll tak a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.
Robert Burns




6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! So glad you shared that.

    (And I've been gone a bit, too, so it was so sweet to see your sweet comment on my blog!)

    Enjoy a beautiful day tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too Wendy! May it be filled with peace, love and joy!!
    What a wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy :-)

    Happy New Year From Southern California.

    Don't forget to watch the 122nd Rose Parade on New Year's Day coming from Pasadena, California...only 30 miles from The Old Geezer's home :-) If you miss the live telecast, I'm sure there will be lots of reruns through out the day.

    No matter what looms ahead, if you can eat today, enjoy today, mix good cheer with friends today enjoy it and bless God for it. ~Henry Ward Beecher

    May God Bless and Protect You in the Year to Come. ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps we should all revert back to how we welcomed the New Year in as children -with a good bit of noise and celebration but without thinking of all the challenges that may lay ahead for us. Besides, those challenges rarely are things over which we have control so why let them control us then in the process. I'll take a cup o' kindness, most certainly, and remember fondly days of Auld Lang Syne, for sure!
    Happy New Year Wendy to you and yours and may the year bring you peace and happiness, lots and lots of love too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ron! Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the parade! Hubby and I enjoyed it very much!

    Happy New Year, Jeni! I hope that you have a happy and healthy year to come!

    ReplyDelete