My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

What was your "ah-ha" moment?

In 2004 I participated in the very last Paddle to a Cure, a kayaking expedition that ran for 5 years and raised close to one million dollars for Breast Cancer Research. I had lost my dearest friend to Breast Cancer prior to this and fund raising and paddling helped me to heal from the loss of such a good friend.

In the course of the three trips that I was involved in, I learned many a valuable lesson. I learned that I could manage for a week with what I carried in my knapsack, and little more. I learned that I could enjoy great vegetarian meals. I learned that it was not necessary (or healthy) to wash my hair every day. I learned that "a rich man is not he who has the most, but rather..it is he who needs the least."

On our trip in 2002, 13 women shared six rolls of toilet paper for one week. We returned with three rolls. I learned that there is another use for bandannas.

The greatest lesson learned, however, is that a few people working towards a common goal can accomplish great things.

The experience of Paddle to a Cure changed my life, and I am forever grateful for the opportunity that was presented to me at a time when I needed it the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment