My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Monday, June 7, 2010

Help Please

I have two older apple trees that are approximately 15 years old, in my backyard. We have not been able to harvest the apples for several years as the apples are misshapen and riddled with brown streaks.

We discovered the culprit is the Apple Fly Maggot. Last year I hung out mock plastic apples that were coated with glue and caught many flies, but I see they are at it again this year.

Does anyone have a cure for this? Should I just cut them down? It is discouraging to put so much effort into something that does not give back...

2 comments:

  1. http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/DG1007.html

    Check this link. I wonder if you will need to spray your trees to get rid of the fly issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim. I never thought that there would be so much work to growing apples!

    ReplyDelete