My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Just some thoughts...

I am beyond the midpoint in my transition from cluttered to simple living, and I find myself constantly asking myself..."Just what is it you mean by overhaul? What is it that you are seeking to accomplish?" I do this to keep on track. So...I went to numerous online dictionaries, and googled the definition of "Overhaul." The best and most pertinent definition was found in FreeDictionary...

Overhaul...

a.
To examine or go over carefully for needed repairs.
b. To dismantle in order to make repairs.
c. Nautical To slacken (a line) or to release and separate the blocks of (a tackle).
2. To make extensive renovations or revisions on; renovate:
3. To catch up with; overtake.

I am pretty happy with those descriptions. Unhappy with the road I was on, I knew it was time to change direction....to live more mindfully and to adopt a simpler way of life. To do that, I needed to examine every aspect of my life, and steer my craft towards more peaceful waters. I knew it would take time, thought, effort and review, and that the journey might be lengthy. It has been, and it will be. I think this process will be lifelong.

There are times when I think that I am "almost there," and then I realize that although there have been gains, it is very easy to slide backwards...easy to allow past behaviours and negative thoughts to steer me off course...and during those times, I have to remind myself to captain my ship.

Along the way, I have met many interesting and wonderful people. Many are on the same path. They inspire me to do better, and to keep on paddling. So...with that in mind, I humbly want to say "Thank you." Your comments here, and your blogs, where you share your journey, inspire me. You are the wind at my back and the light in the distance....and I am ever grateful


3 comments:

  1. "You are the wind at my back and the light in the distance" is a wonderful phrase, and it speaks directly to me. That's what I feel from so many of my blogging buddies, and it's great to have this connection with you, Wendy. Hugs for all you do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so agree with DJan! I discovered your blog today and was drawn in by our shared interest/mission. Simplicity has always been in my heart and soul, yet I chose not to listen and ignored this "truth" for years. I'm ready to listen now...it's time for an overhaul in pretty much every aspect of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have met people to help you on your 'overhaul' journey. I don't think I am any help I just need to join you if anything! I yearn for a less cluttered life but don't seem to ever get the time to do anything about it. I think you are right, it's a lifelong process.
    Hope you are having a good weekend.
    Lindsay
    x

    ReplyDelete