My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Monday, October 19, 2009

"Just be happy in whatever you do..."

These are wise words from a visitor to my blog. Wenn lives in Malaysia, and I am really happy that she found her way to my blog. She has reminded me to be happy with every small and insignificant step I make towards living a simpler and greener life.

I sometimes do not walk the talk. I am critical of my efforts from an environmental standpoint. However... I need to remember that if we all made small seemingly insignificant steps to clean up our act, our combined efforts would make a difference.

I went grocery shopping today. This was the first time in a week and the last time this week. With the exception of some soup bones and toilet paper, I brought home no plastic. I remembered my cloth bags. I chose produce that was without packaging. I did buy a dish pan...plastic...but it will get many years of use and the water that is left after doing my dishes will be used to flush my toilet. I have bought a few more bandanas for nose wipes.

All in all, I am pleased with my efforts today. So Wenn... Thanks for the reminder. I will try to remember your wise words.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks, Wendy, for being so nice to someone who really deserves it: you. I think you are a really good person and although I have never met you, I feel a kinship with your approach to life. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think I just had a DJan hug!! Thank you! (And I look forward to getting to know you better too! Did you know that my dad is a big fan? I put a link to your blog on his computer and he visits every day.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy!!! I'm just catching up on your blog after a busy weekend. Oh my gosh, first of all, let me just say how much I respect, admire and love you and the stories you share here! :)

    Those pictures of the squirrel just killed me. Wah hah ha ha! And you're right, without the pictures I never would have believed you.

    I am thrilled that you've signed up for the No Impact week. Yeah! (Hands clapping excitedly.)

    Here's what I think about the environmental flogging: Feeling guilty, beating yourself up and losing sleep over things, only wastes energy that could be better spent celebrating the wonderful things you do accomplish, the genuine intentions you set and the gift of your life and the people in it (even the long driving shopping trips with girlfriends) ;).

    On the other hand, feeling uncomfortable about 'impact-ful' actions, recognising that some are harmful and unnecessary and turning a critical eye to those areas you think you can and would like to change, are all valid and appropriate responses that provide opportunities for growing deeper into this journey that you're on.

    Put your beautiful and creative energy in those places, get your sleep and keeping doing all the wonderful things you do!

    I'll always be a big fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thank you, Amber. I am humbled. I have met such wonderful people through blogging. Today I heard from two of them! I appreciate your comments and suggestions and your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you have met such nice people on here Mom, that makes me happy! You should really print these all out and make a book so we can read your wise words again and again!!
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every little step is a step towards a goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for being green and uke players! Thanks for the great comment! :-D

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete