My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

With Christmas two weeks away, I decided to take stock. Have I been able to "mindfully" give this year?

Well... I have bought toys for the grandchildren, but for the most part, they are toys that stimulate learning and constructing...toys that stimulate the imagination. I have also bought them clothing. I shopped close to home, or stayed home, saved gas, and did internet shopping. I bought them gifts that will help them cut back on waste and plastic. I will wrap their gifts in one box each, thereby saving wrapping paper.

My children and their spouses will receive their gifts in orange crates, again saving wrapping material.

I have made a few gifts. Not nearly as many as I would have liked, but having Pneumonia knocked the daylights out of me and changed a few plans.

My husband and I have made a pact to cut way back on our spending for each other, and yours truly has asked for bird feeding material, as I get so much enjoyment from feeding these little creatures.

I have already received the best Christmas gift ever, though...news that a member of our family is slowly recovering. How can you top that?

Is this Christmas going to pan out the way I would have liked? No. Not this year. Lessons have been learned, however.

I pledge that next year, 80% of the gifts I give will be handmade...in whatever form that takes. I am going to cut back tremendously, and try to do that as creatively as possible.

As a reminder to my children... I want nothing... I need nothing. That is my Christmas wish.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure others enjoy giving to you as much as you enjoy giving to them...I do like the idea of bird feeding materials though....Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. How inspiring! But I think you should realize that if YOU give gifts to them, it is unfair to say that they cannot give to you, since giving is a really important part of sharing. But all the rest is really AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete