My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The journey continues....

I have decided that I am not a talented blogger. I am not as literate as many that blog. I am frequently at loss for a direction. I choke on how to get beyond my struggles with this... and then I remind myself.... This journey is not about how to become a better journalist. It is about how to live better with less. It is about how to live as a better earth citizen. It is about how to live more mindfully. So... onto some thoughts.

I have a Birth Day Coming up. My grandson Halen will be born in 8 weeks. It is remarkable that we can now know ahead of the birth what to expect. I suppose that knowing the sex of the baby beforehand has its advantages... like whether to buy blue or pink.

I gave birth to my two sons without knowing what to expect and it was a nice surprise at the end of all that hard work. I knew the sex of my daughter beforehand as she was at risk for miscarriage. So... for now... I will take advantage of the known fact that we will welcome another little boy into the world this spring. Halen will receive a quilt from his nana to celebrate his birth, and it will be in bright crayonbox colours, no pinks.

I have made several small quilts over the years. One was for a cousin who was ill with Breast Cancer. She was of Scottish decent so I made squares up with Scottie dogs in various patterns of black, and each had a scarf on its neck, again, in a different pattern. Hearts were qulted throughout. I wanted to surprise her with it but unfortunately she passed away before I finished the quilt. I did finish it and gave it to her daughter as a comfort quilt. I wish I had told her.

I have done a number of "cheater" quilts. (Prepatterned) I made a lap quilt for my mom, and a large single for my daughter, a rag quilt for Alexia, and an "I Spy" quilt for Dustin. From all these projects I have produced many scraps that I have kept and will now find a home in Halen's quilt. I should not have to buy anything for this quilt and this is in keeping with my goal of buying little this year.

How much more simple this year would be, if buying little or nothing, were my only goal. It seems I have many "balls" in the air, and sometimes that is overwhelming. Would it have been better to settle on one goal, one direction? Lets see what I have on my plate...

1. To put out less garbage.
2. To shop less... To consume less.
3. To buy only those products that are produced in Ontario.
4. To live in a chemical free environment. (this includes cleaning and eating organically.)
5. To lose weight and become healthier.
6. To make the people I love a priority.

Wow! Those are big plans! Nonetheless...I will tackle them all then in the way that I would if I were sitting down to dinner and elephant was on the menu. (How do you eat an elephant? One spoonful at a time!)

Until next time...
Wendy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy! I can totally relate to the feeling of not being literate enough to blog, especially when I see so many others out there that write so well. I struggle with thinking 'why bother?' 'what can i possibly add?' 'other people can do it better.'

    But then I remember that my story is unique and I am another voice in the conversation with experiences that I can share, and perhaps my unique voice will resonate with someone along the way.

    Don't worry about how you blog! You are another important voice in the conversation and we need you.

    The other part I like about blogging is being part of a community of people who are pursuing similar goals and way of life. It's a great way to learn tips, get advice, get motivated and also to learn about the challenges and struggles.

    You've set a lot of goals for yourself this year, which is wonderful, and you'll find lots of great people and resources as you chronicle your journey.

    Go slowly, take small small steps, don't try to do it all at once and before you know you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amber. That comment came at a good time. I was prepared to ditch the project and carry on by myself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete