The packing continues, and it is not yet evident whether I am making progress. I often wish that I did not have a conscience...but I do...and so the following is what I have learned on the way to the recycling bin...
1. Never EVER buy another magazine.
2. Deal with paper clutter immediately.
2. Never handle a bill or letter more than once.
4. Ask your kids for a phone call rather than a card.
5. Ask the kids if they want their report cards and keep them no longer than 5 years. (OR...Scan and store on the computer and dispose of the paper copy immediately.)
6. Keep no more than one example of their art work especially if it cannot be identified.
I will be adding to the above list in the coming days.
Sorting of foodstuffs is easier when you look at the expiry dates on the packages. I cringe when I see the amount of foodstuffs that are filling my garbage can. I am appeasing my conscience by removing the packaging and recycling it. I am truly amazed at the poor quality of products I have in my cupboard...many of which are full of ingredients that I cannot pronounce. So much has changed over the past year....
I am trying to convince my husband, that you accomplish nothing by creating a mess all over the house when you are packing and sorting. It makes a stressful situation more stressful. I can't say much though, as he has really been working hard since we made our new purchase.
I am going back at it now... I am sure that if i survive this move, I will never EVER do this again....but if I ever waver in that decision, I know I will have learned some lessons along the way, and there will be much less sorting to do.