My transition from cluttered to simple living.

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dandelion Syrup

I stumbled upon the following, and decided that rather than make dandelion wine, which only a few of us MAY drink, that I would instead make something that we all might enjoy. So! It is boiling down to a syrup now...smells delicious and tastes very nice... Pics to follow.

How To Make Dandelion Syrup by Jane Lake

I first made dandelion syrup when my kids were preschoolers and we woke one morning to find the lawn full of dandelions. I never used weedkiller on my lawn, and the dandelions were there for the picking, so...we gathered up buckets of dandelion heads and made a new syrup for pancakes and waffles. The kids were enchanted, and it's still one of their favourite memories.


Dandelion Syrup...

Put 250 dandelion flower heads* in a large kettle. Squeeze the juice of one lemon into the kettle, and add 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover kettle, and simmer for one hour. Remove from heat and leave the kettle covered overnight.
Strain the dandelion mixture and add 2 lbs of white sugar to the remaining liquid. Boil for one and a half hours to a syrup consistency. Wipe any spills from the stove immediately (or you'll need a chisel to remove it!) Store in a tightly sealed jar in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to know how this turns out. I once tried to make this, but didn't remove the green bottoms of the flowers, and it was just a stinky mess. Gotta use only the yellow part! I may try again someday. Did you like yours?

    ReplyDelete